Steps to Selling a Home
1. Evaluate Your Goals
- For most people, buying and selling a home is one of the largest financial decisions they will ever make. Therefore, it is important to evaluate one's circumstances before selling. Questions such as: "How much money is still owed on my property?", "When do I want (or need) to sell the property by", and "What do I want to do after I sell?" should all be answered before deciding to sell a property.
2. Find the Right Agent
- As with the purchase of a home, finding the right agent can make all the difference in the world in selling your house. Your agent will be responsible for pricing and marketing your home, as well contract negotiation. All of these play an important role in selling your house on time and for the right price!
3. Prepare and List Your House
- More often than not, houses are not quite ready to go to market, if one wants to get the best price possible. If needed, your agent should give you some suggestions on a few items that will help sell your house on time and for the right price. A good agent will know which items make the biggest difference in the eyes of the buyer; this is important in saving you money.
4. Receiving an Offer
- When a buyer is ready to make an offer, they will let you know by contacting your agent. An offer is not official until a residential purchase agreement is signed and submitted by the buyer. At this time, your agent will go over the offer and help you decide the next step in accepting, countering, or rejecting the offer.
5. Accepting an Offer and Escrow
- Once you and the buyer have agreed upon price and terms, the offer is then accepted and you will enter escrow. During this time, the buyer will have the opportunity to inspect the house, and decide whether they want to continue with the purchase process, renegotiate, or cut their ties. Sometimes getting though escrow is easy, and other times it can be difficult; therefore, having the right agent who can help navigate the process and keep your best interest in mind is of utmost importance.
6. Close of Escrow
- Once titles and money transfer, escrow will officially "close". Congratulations! You just officially sold your house!
Are you looking to sell? Have any questions? Want a free market analysis of your house?
Please contact me (or call 858-230-4850) for a free, no obligation consultation to discuss your goals.